Benefits to Shipping States
- Focus resources to reduce pest risk and enhance existing programs
- Enable plant production facilities to create cleaner end product, reducing time spent on traditional inspections
- Plant production facilities gain a marketing opportunity by selling SANC-certified material
Benefits to Receiving States
- Plant material from SANC-certified facilities addresses systemic plant health at every level
- Lessens risk of quarantined pest introduction
See Benefits of SANC for more information.
- Verify that facilities meet SANC standards
- Interview facility staff
- Review records
- Inspect plants
- Verify that the facility’s documented processes are being used
- Verify that the Critical Control Points (CCPs) and Best Management Practices (BMPs) adequately reduce the pest risks
State Minimum Requirements to Adopt SANC
- Statutory Authority to provide nursery/greenhouse certification using systems approach methodology
- Many state statutes are written broadly enough to include systems approach certifications. Model nursery and plant pest laws are available for states to review and consider.
- Commitment at all levels of state administration
- A State Plant Regulatory Official (SPRO) educated in SANC through:
- Participation in NPB’s SANC Program
- Discussions with other SPROs who have participated in the process
- Visiting a SANC facility in another state and shadowing SPRO or delegate, or reviewing a Facility SANC Manual with a seasoned SPRO or delegate
- Completing the SANC Training Module for SPROs
- Participation in quarterly meetings/teleconferences with SANC SPROs, hosted by NPB
- Field staff who:
- Meet state standards for nursery inspection/pest detection
- Have taken the USDA “Introduction to Audit” course
- Are familiar with state SANC Program responsibilities by:
- Participating in SANC inspector training on general SANC concepts, risk assessment and auditing
- Shadowing a seasoned SANC Inspector for a suitable period to gain experience
- Regularly performing SANC surveillance and system audits
SANC Resources Available to States
- SANC Inspector Manual (PDF)
- SANC Inspector Manual Links (web page)
- FAQs for States provides state-specific answers to SANC questions.
- SANC Training provides information on training opportunities in the SANC pilot program.
- ABOUT SANC provides more on the SANC history, program standards and benefits.
- CERTIFICATION describes each step toward SANC approval and provides relevant tools.
- SANC CONNECT and RESOURCES/LINKS provide more SANC tools for states.